I appear to be the last person in the known universe to buy Gal Civ I. I am having problems with it. The other races always out build me, out research me, out explore. I have tried many of the options at the front of the game and get no where. Am I doing something wrong?
- use your initial money and set your spending at the beginning to 100%.
- set tax rates for the first two years to the value where you can maintain 100% moral (= approval), 100% moral doubles your initial population growth, this pays back later on
- concentrate your spending at the beginning to 100% military to get your scouts and colony ships out fast, the initial rush is very important, the more planets with PQ >= 15 you get the better
- don't buy anything, it's very expensive
- after the building of the colony ships, research Universal Translator and look in the trade screens which technologies the AIs have. Research something they don't have and trade it for other techs
- try to get Diplomacy tech early and switch government, it gives you a great boost
There are many beginners and expert guides in the strategy area.